Home Texas Forever My Shop Mrs Thomas' Class Marriage Motherhood Fur Baby Cassie's Insights Image Map

Friday, November 6, 2015

Two Day Week

Well, I did it. I went back to work after maternity leave, and a few days earlier than expected at that. I really wasn't sure what to expect, except the worse. Nothing I can't handle. The kids have gotten a little taller, older, rowdier, and noisier. BUT - they missed me, and I missed them. I basically gave them a quiz Thursday about grammar and judging their sentence structure - uhh, we have work to do? ha. We reviewed adjectives and adverbs and I thought today we would do a fun activity so they would TRULY understand adverbs and adjectives. I found the idea on pinterest and on one of my favorites blog, Deb Hanson. You can read the original post here

We made lists of adjectives and adverbs and talked about the differences. (Next week we are going to review a lot, partly because I haven't been there in 7 weeks and I need them to understand the basics.) 
After we talked about the differences we read, The Z was Zapped by Chris Van Allsburg - The book is amazing, and the illustrations are even more beautiful. 
Basically, the book shows you a letter illustrated differently then on the back of the page it tells you what is happening to that letter. 
For example: A is The A was in an Avalanche. 
(Disclaimer: Most pages contain an adverb, only a few do not and this is where I had the students create their own aloud)

My students LOVED guessing what was on the next page. 

After we read the story, I assigned a letter to each child and they created their own. 
Here are a few examples. 









I didn't make my students do alliteration, just because I wanted them to understand adverbs solely right now. I love how Deb did the activity in her lesson, but I was just trying to ensure they understood adverbs. Some didn't, but most did. I love how they came out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment