Home Texas Forever My Shop Mrs Thomas' Class Marriage Motherhood Fur Baby Cassie's Insights Image Map

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Assessment

WELCOME to week two of linking up with Mrs. D's Corner and Miss V's Busy Bees for Back 2 School Weekly! 

The dreaded word... assessment... I know, I know what you're thinking. BUT when I show you the progress my babies made in kindergarten last year, it makes the assessment part semi more enjoyable. 

So I am going to show you back to school assessments. When our kiddos came in we needed to know WHAT exactly they knew, which for some wasn't much, but I still needed to know where to start. 

Here are a few pictures of things created or given to me for our BOY assessments last year. 


Wow. 
As you can see the top two photos were kiddos who needed a lot more work to get started. I could take from these sheets and know that fine motor skills were definitely something needed. (These are also great to keep for portfolio purposes, I will show you why in just a minute)

Now, the bottom picture is a student who obviously came in with some prekinder skills. 

So, along with letters and numbers, I assessed in colors, shapes, one to one correspondence, rote counting, identifying parts of a book and their purposes, and knowing their name. 

Our report cards we want them leaving the first 6 weeks identifying as many letters, capital and lowercase, as possible, identifying as many numbers 1-20 that they can, and counting to 100 is our final goal. We also want them the identify first and last name, so to do this I would write their names 3 different ways with different spellings and then circle the one they said was their name, write their first name, and identify parts of a book, as well as knowing the difference between letters and words. For math, we want them knowing their 5 digit ID number for our school, identify their colors. We don't put a lot of pressure on them for the first 6 weeks because that is when behavior management is really pushed as well as routines. 

Here are some of the kiddos from the first two pictures work from the last week of school. 



So these photos are the whole reason I believe in assessment and the good that it does do. BUT - That does not mean I agree with a majority of assessments out there and the consistency that they are done. :) 

I have a whole pack of ideas for Kindergarten assessments in my store for 1/2 off for the rest of the week. Last year I did a lot of writing my own and I decided to type a bunch up for you all and making your life simple!


You can find it here: Kindergarten BOY Assessments




post signature

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Awesome progress! I love when assessment really works... it can be such a great thing!

    I had a student during ESY last summer who knew mayyybe 2 letters of the alphabet in the 1st grade. I found out that he loved stickers, so I bought Dollar Spot alphabet stickers that were shiny at Target. By the end of the 5 weeks of ESY, he was identifying half of the alphabet.

    Thanks so much for linking up with us this week! See you at next week's link up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi friend! :) I love your blog! So glad Jennifer introduced us to you! :)

    ReplyDelete